Monday, October 24, 2011

Knock knock, who's there, your Higher Power

I was born into a Christian family, and had a strong sense of beliefs from a very early age. A Higher Power greater than I, was stamped into me and I believed it emphatically, and still do. When I entered rehab I was introduced to the 12 Step Program, which places great emphasis on believing in a Higher Power and handing your will over to this Higher Power.

Many people struggle with this concept, not being able to believe in something that isn't concrete or based on fact. Not me. No, I thought I had this down. I had 23 years experience with my Higher Power and had no problems with that connection. There was no need for me to pay attention to Step 2 and 3, I could just breeze through it. I was proud; I proclaimed my faith loudly and wore it on my sleeve. But pride comes before fall.

Sitting here now, I remember clearly how I cried out to my Higher Power during my active addiction. Every night would be filled with tears and soul wrenching pleads for relief from the pain I was in. When no relief was afforded to me, I would find my relief in using. I thought I was alone. I thought my Higher Power could no longer hear me, that I was so far gone only I could hear my pityful screams. I couldn't understand why a Higher Power who had promised to always love me and always hear my cries for help and always carry me, would just let me drown in my daily pain. I bargained and played dare games. I tried to test Him, seeing if I would be saved at the 11th hour. I was.
This was when I had to take a good long look at myself. Was I really being ignored? Or was I just being self-willed. I questioned myself; why, if I am such a faithful Christian, do I not pray daily? Why, if I have such a good relationship with my Higher Power, do I not hear or feel His presence? There was only one answer, and I had known it all along deep down in the depths of my heart. I was lying to myself. I believed, but I had lost faith. I believed, but I had lost trust. I believed, but I had lost the humility to seek and follow guidance. What to do now? I felt like a lost puppy. I knew I still had my Higher Power that would never leave me, but I felt like we spoke different languages.

It all boils down to one thing: TOOLS
Recovery gave me tools, and my Higher Power gave me tools. It's about time time I start using them.

Peace

2 comments:

  1. This may sound strange if you're not her, but are you Luna?

    I think you are because of the Harry Potter quotes.
    I hope you are.
    And I hope you remember me?
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad I found you again. I tried to get on your blog and it said it had been deleted. Was getting a bit worried about you.

    I'm so glad to see that you got into recovery. I really hope life is better for you now?

    I have never tried to recover but I understand how hard it must be, but keep going, you are worth more than your eating disorder was.

    I hope things are alright with you?

    And thanks about the dreads :) Hopefully they will look better soon, not great at the minute cause they're only 7 weeks.

    Really glad I found you again.
    I missed you.
    xo

    ReplyDelete